Thursday, October 21, 2010

What's been happening these past few months...

Okay, so I was doing well at first with this blog. Then, I went back to my old habits. Sorry about that.

Anyways, now that the school year has started the village has been very active. We have a new principal at the school and he's been getting the community involved with all their activities. This is really great. The children get to shine and the parents are impressed that they get involved.

In September, Belize celebrated 29 years of independence. There were parades, dances, and games going on all over. I was able to see two parades in Belmopan; the christian parade and the city parade. They were both colorful and entertaining. Afterwards, I was able to celebrate with my village. They had fun games for the children like potato sac races, running with the egg in the spoon,etc. They even had a game for the adults. The men climbed a greased wooden pole to get the prize on top. It was hilarious. Everyone was together celebrating. They even had dance parties too. It was fun dancing with them. They do know how to have fun.

My host family took me out to the blue hole. It's about 2 miles from the village and is clear water. It's basically a small pool of water that is shallow (crystal clear water) in the beginning and has a drop. They area where the drop is a beautiful dark blue color.

I've also seen other parts of the country; Belize City and Orange Walk Town.

Belize City is more populated and the area seems much smaller (compared to Belmopan);roads are more narrow, lot more cars, and bikers.

Orange Walk Town I feel is a combination of both Belize City and Belmopan. It's a nice town that has cute shops. I ate awesome ice cream at a place called "Ice Break." It's the best I've tasted so far. I went there twice in one day...yum!

Lots has been going on...

Unfortunately, a little boy from my preschool died. He was anemic and turned 3yrs old while in the hospital. Its a sad story and everyone in the village was in shock.

Circumstances like this one, continue to remind me that life is precious and to value the people in my life.

So, I'll do my best in posting blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment