Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Yay God Moments

When I lived in Ann Arbor(MI), I attended an awesome church on campus (Harvest Mission Community Church). During my time there, we had opportunities to share "Yay God Moments." These moments are blessings from God that we want to share with others. I've been experiencing a lot of "Yay God Moments" this past month.

-4th of July weekend-
Succotz: I finally went back and visited my first host family! It was like coming home again. I feel very comfortable with them and so welcomed. I also went to each of the other host families homes (those who housed my fellow teammates). They were very happy to see me and I ate lots of yummy food.

Sarita & Steven: I meant this wonderful couple through a PC alumni. They opened their home to me and treated me like family...I'm sure you're noticing this theme throughout Belize. They made me delicious home-made pizza, Sarita gave me a pedicure, and very fun to be around. We went to church together, sang songs familiar to home---which was nice, and made me a very tasty Belizean lunch (the best rice n' beans & chicken I've had yet). I'm grateful to God for this new relationship.

-Birthday-
I knew this year would be tough being away from home and so I was prepared for a low key birthday. It was real nice getting phone calls from my mom, dad, brother, and my best friend joslin. They each called me at my host families house. It was really touching.

Afterward, I made cake (homemade yellow cake with strawberry frosting---yummmy) with my host sisters...which is always a treat. I enjoy making food with them. They get really excited and are funny to be around. It makes me happy doing something they enjoy.

We had cake and chow mein for lunch, which was very special to me. So, I was really happy for that.

BUT the big surprise was when my host mom brought women from my cooking class and surprised me at the meeting I had to attend that day. They came when it was over and brought chips/dip(home-made), cake, and drinks (horchata--rice water). It was wonderful and I even cried...I know...not a big surprise. I felt so loved. This is yet another example of how loving and selfless these people are...Yay God:)


Other "Yay God Moments"---

1) Heard "Mighty to Save" in Spanish on the radio 7/19
2) One of the women in my cooking class came to my "potential house" and helped me clean the stove. This stove was pretty filthy but now it looks brand-new.

On a side note--- here are some interesting observations/experiences i've had here in Belize and forget to mention:

-Unripe fruits (mango) eaten with hot pepper/salt
-Halls is consumed as a candy here
-Specialty meal: BBQ, rice n’ beans, and coleslaw
-Stray dogs are everywhere-most of them don’t bother people
-Coke tastes so much better here---I crave it more here than I ever did in America
-Saw three Iguanas in a tree while living in Succotz---they were huge/green/ugly but pretty neat
-Buses here are like the yellow school buses we rode to school and feel like saunas--when its raining and they close the windows
-Pipes dont always have water---and when there is no water---you pray for rain!
-People hiss like snakes to get your attention
-Saw a big black, hairy tarantula in the community house in my village
-A scorpion was climbing up my wall at my host family's house---that's when they decided to give me a mosquito net---hmmm...I'm not sure that's going to help:)

No comments:

Post a Comment