Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Inconveniences---Teaching me a Lesson

For the past few weeks I've been trying to get familiar with my village. During this time, I've realized one of my struggles here in Belize is inconvenience. Right now, I'm searching for a place to stay and can't find a home with both water/electricity...inconvenience. This has nothing to do with the people of Belize, who are warm and welcoming, it's just circumstances that make me uncomfortable. At these moments, I'm always wondering...what is God trying to teach me and what needs to change in me. But believe me...it's easier said than done.

I know there is alot that needs to change in me but it's hard discovering the root of the problem and then picking it out. Its also hard going through struggles without family and my dear friends who know me so well nearby.

So, these past few weeks I've been trying to recite common verses just to keep me focused and with a good attitude. "All things work together for good..., My God shall supply all my needs..., I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me..."

Even though I'm still looking for a home, going to miss my dear friend Anju's wedding, getting darker everyday, and getting more scars from scratching my mosquito bites...I remind myself of all the blessing---I'm in a beautiful country with BEAUTIFUL people....they are simply amazing. They definitely work hard in trying to make me feel comfortable with village life. They are truly selfless people.

Last year at a retreat I attended organized by Harvest Mission(Ann Arbor---miss you and love you guys---IMPACT rocks), I was challenged by the message on what it means to truly follow Christ. One of the verses used was...Foxes have wholes, birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to rest His head...

It continues to remind me that Jesus sacrificed alot and challenges me to think how much am I willing to sacrifice...

The Pastor used other verses but I dont have them on me right now...but it was a real slap in the face. I've lived my life selfishly and the "inconveniences" i've experienced (and continue to experience...) remind me that my attitude needs to change, I am blessed, and these inconveniences are used to draw me close to the Lord...and rely/trust Him.

So for those of you reading...dont worry---I'm going to be okay---even if I feel uncomfortable, anxious, and fearful at times. I'm reminded that God is all-powerful and good ALL the time.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you Elsa. Keep letting Him dig. I'm praying for you often. :) Love you dear!

    ReplyDelete